September 3, Thursday
From 16:00 Exhibition opening marathon of the finalists of KAUNAS PHOTO STAR 2020 across ten outdoor and indoor venues of Kaunas (details below). The opening events are free of charge.
Finalists: Chiara Panariti & Gianfranco Ferraro (Italy), Michał Adamski (Poland), Arne Piepke (Germany), Hannes Jung (Germany), Dovilė Dagienė (Lithuania), Bruno Alencastro (Brazil), Mikhail Lebedev (Russia), Guillem Vidal (Spain), Lina Margaitytė & Marius Krivičius (Lithuania), Dillon Marsh (South Africa).
· 13:00 Exhibition opening. Chechnya Square (P. Lukšio St.)
· 13:40 Exhibition opening. Kalniečiai park (next to Savanorių Ave.)
· 14:30 Exhibition opening. Square next to the State Tax Inspectorate (A. Juozapavičiaus Ave. 57)
· 15:10 Exhibition opening. Žaliakalnis Funicular (V. Putvinskio St. 22)
· 15.30 Exhibition opening. VMU Multifunctional Center for Studies and Research (V. Putvinskio St. 23)
· 16:10 Exhibition opening. Kaunas Cultural Centre of Various Nations (Šv. Gertrūdos St. 58)
· 16:30 Exhibition opening. Kaunas Municipal Vincas Kudirka Public Library – Department of Youth, Art and Music (A. Mapu St. 18)
· 17:00 Exhibition opening. Kaunas City Museum Folk Music Branch (L. Zamenhofo St. 12)
· 17:30 Exhibition opening. Maironis Lithuanian Literature Museum (Rotušės Sq. 13)
· 18:00 Exhibition opening and announcement of the Winner of KAUNAS PHOTO STAR 2020. Kaunas Photography Gallery (Vilniaus St. 2)
· 20:00 Screening of the series of the KAUNAS PHOTO STAR 2020 Finalists and artist talk with Dovilė Dagienė-Doda (Lithuania). Maironis Lithuanian Literature Museum (Rotušės Sq. 13). Free admission.
September 8, Tuesday
· 11:00 Educational activity “Picturing Freedom” for school children of Lazdijai. Lazdijai Region Museum (Seinų St. 29, Lazdijai).
· 17:30 Artist talk with Mindaugas Kavaliauskas and screening of the “The European Way Without Red. 1990-08-23” photo archives. The event is open to all. The participants of the meeting of “The European Way“ on August 23, 1990 are especially welcome. Lazdijai Cultural Centre (Vilniaus St. 6, Lazdijai). Free admission.
· 18:00 KAUNAS PHOTO 2020 Projection evening. Lazdijai Cultural Centre (Vilniaus St. 6, Lazdijai). Free admission.
September 17, Thursday
· 16:30 Educational tour “Peripheral Visions” for the students of the Kaunas University of Applied Sciences Photography study programme by the coordinator of KAUNAS PHOTO festival Karolina Krinickaitė.
September 19, Saturday
· 12:15 During the Žemieji Šančiai community festival „Šančinės“, KAUNAS PHOTO festival’s coordinator Karolina Krinickaitė will present the exhibition “Temporarily Open” by the finalists of KAUNAS PHOTO STAR 2020 Lina Margaitytė & Marius Krivičius (Lithuania). Square next to the State Tax Inspectorate (A. Juozapavičiaus Ave. 57). The presentation is a part of Rolanda Girskienė’s excursion “Pajausk, tai – Šančiai!”, which will start at 12:00 from Šančiai polyclinic (A.Juozapavičiaus ave. 72).
· 15:00 Exhibition opening of Michal Adamski‘s (Poland) “I dyed my hair again” in the town center of Užpaliai during the Autumn Equinox Festival. Later, the exhibition will be transferred to the gallery of Užpaliai library.
September 30, Wednesday
· 15:00 Virtual meeting (artist talk) with the KAUNAS PHOTO STAR 2020 finalist Mikhail Lebedev (Russia) and farewell to his exhibition “Restaurateurs by chance”. Kaunas Cultural Centre of Various Nations (Šv. Gertrūdos St. 58). The event is free of charge and open to all. The event will be held in Russian language with translation to Lithuanian upon request.
· 17:30 KAUNAS PHOTO 2020 Projection Evening. Kaunas University of Applied Sciences, Faculty of Arts and Education (A. Mackevičiaus St. 27, Kaunas). Duration 1h 30min. The event is free of charge and open to all. Screening of a part of the photographic series submitted to the KAUNAS PHOTO 2020 Open Call on the topic “Peripheral Visions”:
– Lithuanian Authors / Series presented to the KAUNAS PHOTO 2020 Open Call by Lithuanian photographers.
– Quarantine. Isolation / Series created during the quarantine and series on the theme of isolation.
– On the margin and beyond / What’s on the margin and beyond the centres of power and the mainstream.
– Visions / Series looking into the topic “Peripheral visions” on the basis of fiction, visions, ideas.
October 1, Thursday
· From 14:00 Educational tours “Places of painful historical memory and dark tourism” for students of Kaunas Juozas Grušas Art Gymnasium by the coordinator of KAUNAS PHOTO festival Karolina Krinickaitė. Kaunas IX Fort Memorial Complex, next to the exhibition “I was here (Dark Tourism)” by Ambroise Tézenas (France).
October 7, Wednesday
From 17:30 Education and projection evening “Your room as a camera. How can you do it?”. Kaunas Municipal Vincas Kudirka Public Library, Park Branch (P. Lukšio St. 60). Free admission. Program:
· 17:30 Projections: “obs-cu-ra” by the KAUNAS PHOTO STAR 2020 finalist Bruno Alencastro (Brazil).
· 18:00 Educational session with Bruno Alencastro (Brazil) and Mindaugas Kavaliauskas, art director of KAUNAS PHOTO festival: how to make a room-sized “camera” at home – camera obscura (Latin: “dark room”). The view of the outside world seen through the window projects as an upside-down image on the walls of the room. Unable to come to Lithuania due to the ongoing pandemic, the Brazilian artist Bruno Alencastro prepared a special educational recording for the KAUNAS PHOTO festival.
· 18:30 Projections: “Camera obscura. Savanoriai” by Darius Kuzmickas (Lithuania / USA), created on the principle of camera obscura. Darius Kuzmickas, originally from Kaunas and currently living in Portland, created this photo series in 2009 during the KAUNAS PHOTO social-documentary project “Savanoriai”. This was the first artistic residence of the festival KAUNAS PHOTO.
October 29, Thursday
[ CANCELLED ] · 20:00 KAUNAS PHOTO 2020 Projection Evening II. Closing event of the 17th KAUNAS PHOTO festival – photography projections under the open sky in the neighbourhood of Chechnya Square, at A. Ramanausko-Vanago St. 1. Projections will feature photographic series submitted to the KAUNAS PHOTO 2020 Open Call on the topic “Peripheral Visions”. The event is free of charge and open to all. Duration 45 min.
The event calendar is constantly updated.
The organizer reserves the right to make changes to the event program.
Follow the news at www.KaunasPhoto.com / www.facebook.com/Kaunas.Photo